Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Monday 21, April 2014

LOTS OF CHANGES THIS WEEK!!!

New Warm up!!!

New Olympic Lifting Cycle starts

New Skill work that will last for 30+ days!!!

Skill:

We are starting a "strength" skill cycle on strict pull ups... As a coach and CrossFitter I have watched the lifestyle of fitness I love change from year to year, hell month to month and some changes I embrace and some make me cringe. With that being said I remember being that new CFer that couldn't wait to get a kipping pull up - I am a girl, and getting a pull up of any sort was the most amazing yet elusive sounding skill set ever.  Well of course, like all my girls and guys I got kipping pull ups and was content with that being the best for me for a long time. Then I started looking at things a little different, more as a coach and less as a clock whore - realized there are some fundamental things being missed or used improperly. This is my take, and my take only in terms of programming for my athletes - you can disagree or agree, it makes no difference to me, this is my gym and my culture!
We don't do weighted back squats in a metcon - unless it is something fun like Sally Up, Sally Down with low weight, we rarely do deadlifts in a metcon anymore and when we do it is very low reps and or very low weight, my job as your coach is to promote health and happiness in the other areas of your life, not break you so you cant enjoy the activities OUTSIDE the box you should be enjoying.
So, with that I want you stronger, I want you to know that kipping pull ups are GREAT for a quick WOD, but for what we do and promote which is STRENGTH, you need to start working strict pull ups, and be comfortable once again with a failure or sticking point on something you felt you mastered with kipping.
With that being said we will be doing variations of strict pull ups everyday for skill - I WANT, no I NEED YOU TO LOG YOUR PROGRESS DAILY - band, no band, one rep, ten reps, I want you to see your self getting stronger, and knowing that woman, man, you can do a strict pull up, and you can do it well!!!

5x
max strict pull ups
90 sec rest in between

Strength:

Work on HOOK GRIP
Power cleans
15 single reps - getting heavier

Stabilizer:
For the week
50 four count flutter kicks
50 four count mountain climbers
50 half sit ups

Metcon:

20 min AMRAP
10 Knees 2 elbows
20 KB swings 24/16kg
30 Jumping Squats 20/15kg

No comments: